MILTON-FREEWATER, Oregon — Oregon Housing and Community Services yesterday announced funding for the development and preservation of 796 affordable homes through the 2018 federal 9 percent Low Income Housing Tax Credit and HOME awards, which leverage local, state, and private investments. Among those receiving funding is Orchard Homes in Milton-Freewater, which will have 128 units, sponsored by Chrisman Development Inc.
“Oregon is facing unprecedented need across the housing spectrum, from homelessness to homeownership, and a severe shortage of affordable and available rental homes,” said OHCS Director Margaret Salazar. “These awards are bringing much needed housing and services to communities large and small. We are excited to celebrate the collaboration behind the Cedar Grove award, creating stable homes for families, close to jobs and schools.”
According to OHCS, the Orchard Homes were originally constructed to house the workers supporting farming communities in the immediate area. At the time of construction, farm labor was comprised largely of transient migrant workers. A substantial portion of these workers traveled alone and required one-bedroom apartments. Over the last 5 years there has been a shift in the makeup of the workers. Single farmworkers have declined substantially. Many of the workers are now staying year round and have families. This has created a higher demand for 2 and 3 bedroom units, while creating high vacancy for the 1 bedroom units. The proposed project would consist of the conversion of 30 of the one-bedroom units into 15 three-bedroom units to meet the needs of the current farmworker family makeup.
Here is the full list of recipients:
– Orchard Homes, Milton-Freewater, 128 units
– The Rose, Portland, 58 units
– Pioneer Enterprises, Veneta & Molalla, 52 units
– Cedar Grove, Beaverton, 44 units
– Low-Income Single Adult Hsg. (LISAH), Portland, 72 units
– Market District Commons, Eugene, 50 units
– Salem HA MF RAD Bundle, Salem, 84 units
– Silvertowne & Silvertowne II, Silverton, 86 units
– Canal Commons, Bend, 48 units
– Creekside Apts, Central Point, 50 units
– Garden View Apts, Lebanon, 48 units
– Deer Creek Village, Roseburg, 68 units
– Liberty Lodge, Redmond, 8 units
For full details, click here.